Thursday, November 30, 2017

What Grief Is Like

In my limited experience, (my) grief is difficult & unpredictable.

No one can tell me how I will feel and when because I do not know

          when

my grief will be triggered.

No one can tell me what will spark memories or what could have been, and let me tell you, they are everywhere, sometimes in the most inconspicuous places.

In my first outing after Elias, one of the teachers in this play class introduced herself. Her name was my top choice for a girl name. What were the chances? It suddenly took my breath away, and I nearly lost my composure.

Nancy Guthrie is a prolific Christian writer, speaker, and teacher. She has also lost 2 infant children. I found her description to be on point in those first weeks.

          She described her grief like a boulder on her chest. It took her breath away with its weight, constantly squeezing tears out that were ever close to the surface.

No comments:

Post a Comment