Friday, December 29, 2017

Book Recommendations

I have read several Christian books on grief and infant loss; all were mediocre, average.

Perhaps it is because I do not relate to miscarriage or stillbirth the way those books are typically written.

Last night, I read Holding Onto Hope by Nancy Guthrie from cover to cover in one sitting. It was biblical (study on Job, through which I had just finished reading), concise, well-written, practical, relatable (not just for infant loss, too), encouraging, and helpful. Came with a study guide in the back. Would definitely recommend to others.

Prior to Elias, I had read I Will Carry You by Angie Smith. It was instrumental in allowing me to glimpse a solid Christian family's experience with and through infant loss. At that time, I was desperate to understand even a tiny bit of what our friends were going through with their complicated pregnancy. The book delivered; I wept every few pages for our friends. I re-read it as we journeyed with Elias, this time with more profound identification. Derrick found the chapter written by Angie's husband (how men and fathers grieve) helpful, as did I.

No comments:

Post a Comment